1/26/2017 1:12:00 PM Despite Trump's order, Chicago to remain a sanctuary city City continues to be plagued by shootings
CHICAGO (AP) — Mayor Rahm Emanuel and its aldermen say Chicago will remain a sanctuary city despite President Donald Trump’s executive order to cut off some federal funding from immigrant-protecting municipalities.
On Wednesday, as news was breaking that Trump has signed the executive order, the City Council overwhelmingly voted in favor of a resolution to reaffirm Chicago’s status as a sanctuary city. And a few minutes later, the mayor told reporters that Chicago is “going to stay a sanctuary city.”
Emanuel says he hasn’t read the executive order so it is too early to say how much if any federal money it will cost Chicago to remain a sanctuary city. He says people from all over the world are welcome in Chicago to “pursue the American Dream.”
In the meantime, the number of Chicago shootings continues to rise.
A 12-year-old girl is among six people hurt in a shooting at a memorial in Chicago that had been organized in response to another shooting..
Chicago police say the shooting happened at about 8:15 Wednesday night on the city’s South Side. Police spokesman Ron Gaines says the girl suffered a graze wound to the head and is in stable condition.
Gaines says a 16-year-old boy and a 20-year-old woman are hospitalized in serious condition with gunshot wounds. He says the other victims range in age from 17 to 43 and are in good condition.
Community activist Jedidiah Brown says the shooting took place at a vigil for another victim of gun violence in Chicago. He says the mother of the person being remembered was among those shot.
Police say the shooting remains under investigation.
As of Tuesday, Chicago police said 234 people have been shot in 2017, including 38 who died. At this point last year, according to Chicago police, there had been 227 shot in 2016, including 33 deaths.