Only a portion of the town of Harvel is within the boundaries of Christian County. The Trinity Lutheran Church is located on the north side of Harvel and the Harvel Christian Church is on the county line between Christian and Montgomery Counties. The Harvel Cemetery is at the south edge of Harvel.
King Township, where a portion of the town of Harvel is located, was organized in 1866 and was named to compliment the King family, who were early settlers. At the presidential election in 1876, the township cast a total vote of 192 - indicating a population of nearly 1000. We are told that no history of this area is complete without some mention of the D'arcy tracts. When the government decided to survey the western part of Christian County, a Frenchman from Jerseyville, Illinois, by the name of D'arcy, assisted by John Morrell from Virden and by Thomas Clower of King Township, took his pay in swamp land in the area, totaling about 6000 acres (twelve and one-half cents per acre). Because of the lack of drainage, little progress was made toward improving the land for farming. When D'arcy died he divided his land in an unbroken body to any descendant who might be living ninety years after his death. Among the descendants was a daughter who married P. D. Cheney, who secured control of the greater portion of the holdings. Other heirs contested this with a two-fifths interest in the D'arcy estate going to the others. With drainage and efficient farm management the land was made productive in time.
Today Harvel has several small businesses and nice homes and is surrounded by rich farm land.