Several homes in Assumption, originally named Tacusah, were built between 1895 and 1907 and remain as examples of the beautiful homes of that period. The homes are referred to by a resident's name; usually the original owner, or an owner who lived in it for a long period of time; or today's owner.
The Ed Adcock home, 110 N. Locust
Jim H. Downs had this home built when he retired from his farm in Shelby County. The lovely home was built between 1890 and '95, and after Mr. Downs' death in 1912 his daughter, Jennie, and husband, Dr. A.F. Rockey moved into the palatial home. After Dr. Rockey's death in 1932 the home was empty until Ed and Bertha Adcock bought the home in 1935. Mr. Adcock farmed extensively 2 miles north of town. The Adcocks rented rooms to teachers-as many as six at a time. Mr. Adcock died, and the home has had several owners since that time.
The Bob Corzine home, Southwest edge of Assumption
The "home place" was built in 1899 by one of the forefathers of Assumption, Cassius Corzine. His son, Dale and wife Marjorie, moved there in 1922 when his parents moved to town. After living there many years, and raising their children there, Dale left the big old home, and his son, Robert, moved there in 1964.
Peter L. Myers - George Hiler Home, 404 E. Leafland
Built in 1900 by Peter L. Myers this home has been in the family ever since. His grandson, Thomas P. Myers, moved there in 1915, and Thomas Myers' daughter, Dotha, and her husband George Hiler, moved into the home in 1972. Since Heather Hiler and husband, Bod Ludwig and family have lived in the home last owned by Heather's grandparents, George and Dotha Hiler. The attractive home has a corner tower similar to many Assumption homes at the time. The peaked tower roof is lovely to see from the passing highway, Route 51, and is now green, probably being made of copper.
Karl Hight Home, 420 W. First Street
This unique looking, smaller version of a Queen Anne style, was built between 1900 and 1905. Karl Hight, a prominent business man, and his wife Edith, lived in the home until their deaths. Their daughter, Alta, who was in the local insurance agency with her father also lived there later. The house was sold to Bill and Annette Ward, who have maintained the home and still live in it.
The G.J. Rivard home, 224 W. First Street
This distinctive home was built in 1903, and was quite the social gathering place. After Dr. Rivard died about 1920, his daughter, Rita, continued to there and held many galas and teas before marrying in the later 1940s and selling the home. Various owners moved in and out, letting the beautiful home go down hill until Mr. and Mrs. Doug Atwater purchased the home in the mid 1970s. They restored the interior before selling it in the 1980s. Since then various owners have again moved in and out. This structure has a corner tower or turret which was a type of architecture very popular in town at that time. The roof to the tower is called a bell roof, with a copper bell.
Carl Corzine home, 101 N. Hickory Street
Having come from Ganges, France in 1860, Mr. August Cazalet built this fine home with its high peaked roof in 1905. In 1902, he and others organized the National Bank. In 1925 after Cazalet's death, Leslie C. Corzine, son of Cassius Corzine, having married Cazalet's daughter, moved there. Carl Corzine, a nephew, also with the National Bank, bought the home from the L.C. Corzine estate in 1966, and remains there with his wife, Marilyn. This outstanding, large home is very noticeable by its blue-green slate shingles covering the entire roof and huge porch. There is a charming concrete block grape-vine, typical of the time, in the backyard.
George Lacharite home, 510 W. First Street
This beautiful home with its high roof, dormer windows, and bay windows was built in 1907 by Jacobs. About 1910 David LaCharite bought this home, lumber yard, and grain elevator from, and he and his wife, Lenora, moved into the home. After David's death in 1929 his daughters lived there until 1946. His grandson, George, purchased the home then. George and Vivian LaCharite are understandably very proud of their lovely home along with the white barn with its red stripes and old-fashioned gazebo.
LaCharite Bank Building, 201 N. Chestnut Street
The two-story building housing the State Bank on this original site for 10 years was destroyed by fire on January 1, 1900. It was quickly succeeded by the handsome well-equipped building. The building was built as The Hight Bank of Assumption, and in 1902, was organized into Illinois State Bank The State Bank closed in 1933. George LaCharite, lawyer and grandson of David L. LaCharite purchased the building in 1937. He opened a law office there in 1947 and continues to do business there today. He has kept the building well maintained and looking much as it did back when his father and grandfather had the bank. This is the first building in Christian County to be included in the National Registry of Historic Buildings in 1984.